The beautiful logo above for the London 2012 Olympics seems to have caused a spot of bother with most people agreeing that it's pretty crap. Especially as it cost £400,000. What makes me laugh is that apparently sensible and intelligent people are lining up behind it and explaining to the disbelieving public (like me) that it's been carefully crafted to appeal to the yoof of Britain.
- "This is the vision at the very heart of our brand," said London 2012 organising committee chairman Seb Coe.
- "It's not a logo, it's a brand that will take us forward for the next five years," Lord Cole told BBC Five Live.
- "This is an iconic brand that sums up what London 2012 is all about - an inclusive, welcoming and diverse Games that involves the whole country. It takes our values to the world beyond our shores, acting both as an invitation and an inspiration." said Tessa Jowell.
- "When people see the new brand, we want them to be inspired to make a positive change in their life." from Tony Blair.
- "This is a truly innovative brand logo that graphically captures the essence of the London 2012 Olympic Games" says International Olympic Committee President, Jacques Rogge.
The BBC has complied a selection of submissions from readers - most of which (in my humble opinion) are much better.
If you missed the goatse variant from Sean Stayte (that the BBC pulled as soon as they realised) here's a link from Boing Boing.